Endometriosis affects millions of women around the world and can cause debilitating pain and suffering. But what do we know about the disease? We’ve put together a list of 12 fast facts about endometriosis with help from wtop.com.
- It can run in families.
- The pain level differs from woman to woman, with some women experiencing extreme pain.
- Some women may also suffer from abdominal bloating.
- Pregnancy may relieve the symptoms of endometriosis.
- Others may find it difficult to become pregnant due to the disease.
- Lesions are mostly found in the pelvic region.
- The lesions can grow very large and can affect nerve tissue.
- Lesions can also be found in the abdomen and in extreme cases, as far as the lungs or brain.
- The lesions can lead to cysts and pelvic adhesions.
- Endometriosis is fueled by the hormone estrogen.
- Lesions need to be excised by specialist surgeons to bring pain relief.
- It can take up to 10 years for women to be diagnosed with the disease.
Endometriosis News is strictly a news and information website about the disease. It does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. This content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or another qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.