How Cannabidiol (CBD) Helps My Endometriosis

How Cannabidiol (CBD) Helps My Endometriosis

Dachshunds & Duvets – a column by Jessie Madrigal-Fletcher

I am currently experiencing an endometriosis flare-up. My right ovary has decided to remind me of its presence via throbbing, stabbing pains, and my uterus feels like it’s tearing apart. This is when my pain-relief weapons come into action, and cannabinoids take center stage.

I took strong painkillers for years, mainly high doses of ibuprofen. I knew I was playing with fire, since this type of anti-inflammatory can damage the lining of our stomachs. However, suffering chronically crippling pains, the only way I could hold a job and pay bills was through strong medication. Years have passed, and now my gut is a war zone. I have made changes in my diet, but also had to quit ibuprofen. That’s when cannabidiol (CBD) came into play.

CBD is a cannabinoid (a cannabis compound). “CBD oil” is an extract mixed with a carrier oil. It also comes in pill form, and some people even vape it. It has the numbing effect one associates with weed, but leaves out the THC element, which means no psychoactive (“stoned”) effects.

It’s very good at reducing the intensity of pain. If like me, you experience severe levels of pain, CBD may not get rid of it completely, but it can provide a lot of relief. CBD is a superhero when it comes to migraines and anxiety. Taken orally as an oil, its taste is very strong and not particularly pleasant, but it can be mixed with anything you eat or drink. Depending on its concentration and potency, you may only require a single drop each time — start small.

Cannabis is becoming an increasingly hot topic in the world of endometriosis. In the U.S., most states still don’t include symptoms of endometriosis within their qualifying conditions to obtain medical marijuana. But projects like Know Your Endo are working to increase awareness on this subject, and Oscar-winning actress Whoopi Goldberg has launched a line of cannabis-based products aimed at women suffering from menstrual issues. New Zealand plans to hold a referendum so that its citizens can decide on legalizing the personal use of cannabis, which could enable those with chronic conditions to obtain medicinal cannabis.

I live in the U.K., where CBD is legal, although the NHS (Britain’s public health system) does not fund or prescribe it. There have been some isolated cases of doctors prescribing it to epilepsy patients, and while it can be easily bought online or at some health shops, it’s not cheap.

I am writing this from my bed, having taken some CBD with my lunch, which is enabling me to function. I wish I had known about CBD before. It would have probably saved me from destroying my gut with strong, synthetic medication.

I believe cannabinoids should be an option for endometriosis sufferers.

The long-term effects of certain painkillers should justify the availability of more natural alternatives. I started buying CBD from someone who mostly sold it to cancer and endometriosis sufferers. Cannabinoids help thousands of women, but right now, it’s all down to word-of-mouth among patients who can afford it. We need more awareness and availability globally, and the power to change the laws to facilitate its supply and use for medical purposes.

***

Note: Endometriosis News is strictly a news and information website about the disease. It does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. This content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website. The opinions expressed in this column are not those of Endometriosis News or its parent company, BioNews Services, and are intended to spark discussion about issues pertaining to endometriosis.

My name is Jessie. I am a writer and part-time Yoga instructor living in the south of England. Since being diagnosed with endometriosis, I’m determined to be the boss of my chronic illness. You’ll find me with two sausage dogs curled up on my belly and my duvet nearby, writing about life and whatever my mind thinks up. This is my journey.
×

19 comments

1. Rhonda says:

The problem is that if you work at a job that does drug testing you can still fail the drug test with CBD oil according to the internet there are still traces. It’s too bad because my daughter has an opportunity for a great job but they do drug testing so now she has stopped her CBD oil and is in severe pain, ibuprofen doesn’t work for her at all. She is hoping once the CBD oil is out of her system that she will be able to go re-apply for the job but then she will have the problem of her suffering all the time and trying to work.

• Hello Ester, thanks for reading and commenting. I have taken different concentration levels overtime. It depends on you and how your body digests it. The best approach is to start with a low concentration level, and go up if you need to. The highest I’ve taken is 18 percent, but that was after taking lower concentrations for a good while. The tricky part is finding good quality CBD oil. Good luck and I hope it works out for you!

• Hello Jennifer, thanks for reading and commenting! I am based in the UK and use a brand called LoveCBD, more specifically, their Entourage Oil. This is my CBD of choice, that I purchase myself, and not an endorsement by Endometriosis News 🙂
          Don’t forget that CBD isn’t technically legal in many places, so you should check your regional and federal laws before purchasing any. Hope this helps.

• Tammy C says:

hi there i am in canada and i have been diagnosed with stage 4 endometriosis and live daily in severe pain my doctor prescribed me to take 4 10 mg oxycodoe a day.. no thanks my mom has 3 different kinds of arthritis and she has been taking cbd for 2 months and zero pain anymore.. i went just yesterday and bought my first bottle of 500 mg cbd oil.. i took over the day 3 droppers full morning lunch and bed and for the first time in months i woke up in zero pain.. so my point is it works and i am so thankful for it.. the guy i bought it fromm (trees dispensary) told me to take it 3 times a day for first 3 day so it gets into my system and then down to 2 doses every day (full dropper is a dose) and hold it under your tongue for as long as you ca so it soaks in better then i swallow it with a sip of juice..(im not a big fan of the taste) but i now swear by it.. and i know it will help me survive until i have my hysterectomy in the new year.. hope t helps you.. my story was pretty much the same as the posters story..good luck from beautiful british columbia canada

2. Melzy says:

My daughter is 14 and it was discovered through tests to find the cause of her abdominal pains, she has PCOS, and shes in constant pain (for pretty much three years to the day) but it varies in intensity, shes missed so much school, due to see her gyno for a follow up in the next few weeks, we will be asking for tests for endo, anyway,about a month ago, after it got really bad (now, many trips to the Emergency department and been told to keep up the nurofen which didnt even help at all!! nor did the oxycodine they gave her while there) I thought stuff it, lets try her on hemp oil (now available in capsule for in supermarkets in the vitamin aisle here in Australia) Even tho it says not recommended under 15 (shes a few months off) well within 20 mins of taking them, her pain decreased from an 8 to a 2!! its NEVER been that low. Hemp oil is magic!!!

3. Benedicta says:

Can this oil cure my kind of endometriosis. My navel bleeds during my circle. I have tried all sorts strong injections to stop it. The navel only bleed during my circle.

Regards

• Hi Ingrida, thanks for reading and commenting. The best approach would be to talk with your doctor first, and ensure you won’t have any reactions or digestive issues from taking CBD. I use a brand called LoveCBD, more specifically, their Entourage Oil. This is my CBD of choice, that I purchase myself, and not an endorsement by Endometriosis News 🙂 The price depends on the concentration you’re after. The best approach is to start with a low concentration level, and go up if you need to. Hope this helps.

4. Janice says:

Hi,
    I read your article and it really helped me in managing my painful cramps. After researching on CBD and its benefits in treating endometriosis, I came through this article. I thought to give a try to CBD and got CBD oil from Thoughtcloud. I must say it really helped me in managing my symptoms. I used to have heavy pain and stressful days but starting with CBD really reduced pain and bloating that I used to face. I really don’t need those painkillers now and that is bliss.

5. Alice says:

Hi,

6. Eliza Wolser says:

I have two endometrial and have had several ovarian cysts rupture plus severe hormonal imbalance over the last four months. I’m schedule for a D&C but had a new kind of pain during ovulation a few weeks ago, which I didn’t tell my doctor about until this past Monday because I had a huge work deadline and couldn’t miss anymore work for tests, etc. After ovulation I went into a huge hormonal flare up, breasts sore as hell for two weeks. Breast pain is now finally lightening up, 6 days away from my period according to my app (if it’s even accurate anymore). Woke up with severe cramping in uterus and right ovary pain (usually it’s on the left where the cysts form but not this time). Been slowly experimenting with CBD oil for pain, and it’s been helping a lot. I just took 35mg sublingual and the pain has gone down A LOT. I live in NY and get certified strains tested for purity from a chemist who sells out of her jewelry store. Sourcing the right strains that are tested for purity is key, in the USA only two states regulate for purity, so this seller sources from Kentucky.