Endometriosis is a painful condition where tissues outside of the womb, generally in the pelvic area, starts acting like the lining of the womb. These tissues tend to thicken and start breaking down, leading to pain, discomfort and fertility problems.
Causes of endometriosis are not fully grasped, as there are several different theories as to why this happens.
As an endometriosis patient, it is important to have a healthy diet and lifestyle to tackle the condition. Eating affects how you feel and experts around the world share some “common grounds” as to what’s considered a helpful choice for endometriosis patients:
- Follow a balanced diet, focusing on foods that are rich in iron, fibre and essential fatty acids (EFAs) – apples, pears, plums, beans, peas, broccoli, chia and flax seeds, tofu, fish, eggs, etc…
- Increase your physical activity – yoga and swimming are excellent exercises.
- Drink lots of water – at least 1/2 gallon of water a day keeps your body hydrated.
Experts also have the same “common ground” over things to avoid :
- Alcohol – Extremely inflammatory; affects vitamin D levels in the liver.
- Caffeine – Caffeine can increase menstrual pain as well as raising oestrogen levels.
- Soya – Soya contains elevated levels of phytoestrogens and other toxins that can trigger endo symptoms.
- Saturated fats – Found in margarine, butter, and lard – they trigger the production of inflammatory prostaglandins.
Endometriosis News is strictly a news and information website about the disease. It does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. This content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?